Adults Treat Me Different

I find it funny how adults preach to children that they should treat those with disabilities no differently from others, however adults tend to do the opposite. When I tell my peers about being chronically ill, I don't usually get treated differently after. It does happen, and sometimes it's with extra consideration. It's really nice. Adults, on the other hand, usually treat me differently from others. Occasionally it's just to make sure I'm doing okay, which is always appreciated. Other times it's as if they don't believe me. But more often than not, it's just different from other kids. Adults are often surprised I lead a more normal life than they expect. I would like to set the record straight:

People with chronic illnesses are normal people. 

I'm not a hypochondriac. I'm not a saint. I'm not looking for attention. I'm a teenager with a chronic illness. I'm a girl who loves her friends. I think homework is the bane of existence. There's a boy I can't get off my mind. I love getting dressed up. Food is my first love. My room is covered in posters and magazine clippings and is filled with music. I have stuffed animals all over my bed. Sleep is my favourite hobby. I watch romantic comedies and wish for a Joseph Gordon Levitt for myself. I pride myself on seeing all the latest Disney movies. And if I didn't have to grow up, I don't think I would.

I'm only a kid. I might have an 'adult' illness, but that doesn't make me any older.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Balancing Friendships and Psoriatic Arthritis

My Arthritis Depression

Leflunomide, Calcium Oxalate Crystals, and Kidney Stones